Friday, April 3, 2015

Maxi Skirts | Wearing & Styling Tips






Maxi Skirt: New Look - Jumper: Charity Shop - Hair Band: New Look - Belt: Primark

I don't often do fashion how to posts, as, well, I don't really consider myself hugely fashionable or highly knowledgeable when it comes to all things catwalk or "on trend". I wear what I like, and something I feel happy & confident in. I gather all my inspiration from people around me and those who I claim DO have a fair amount of clothing know-how. However, when I recently filmed a haul video on YouTube, I showed a couple of maxi skirts and asked if anyone *may* be interested to see how I wore them. I had an overwhelming amount of "yes pleases". So, with the help of Louise as camera lady, I set out and created the video especially for those of you who asked.



Maxi skirts are my summertime essential. As someone who suffers with "I despise my legs" syndrome, they are my perfect go-to on a warm day where tights and leggings would be an awful & sweltering idea. They cover my legs, provide a cool breeze, suit my shape & frame, yet still look quite glamorous & effortless.

A few tips & hints:
  • If you are short, wear a maxi skirt at your waist, rather than your hips, it elongates the legs making you appear much taller, as well as shortening the length slightly.
  • If a maxi skirt is too long, but you absolutely love the style & colour, then take it up! Don't be lazy, it takes minutes to stitch up a hem, or even use the iron on webbing if you aren't very good with a needle and thread.
  • If you are on the shorter side, and anything "maxi" is just too long or you can't be bothered with adjusting the length yourself, then count yourself lucky that you can wear some killer wedges with it. You appear taller, feel more elegant, and nobody will ever know ;)
  • If you are taller and find maxi skirts impossible to fit you length-wise , try going for a maxi skirt which is designed to be sat at the waist, and wear it on your hips. This way you are shortening the length and the appearance of your legs.
  • You don't ONLY have to wear maxi skirts in the summer or when it's hot, put on a pair of leggings or tights underneath for a bit of added warmth on those days where the sun is shining but there's still a slight chill. Nobody will ever know!
  • You can also layer up with different t shirts, jumpers & scarves in the colder months. I find that jersey like fabrics sit better for colder days, and floaty fabrics look a lot more summery for the hotter days.
  • As maxi skirts are so long, you can get away with wearing many different top variations and tucking them in. You could even wear a pretty dress or swimming costume underneath & all would be concealed.
  • I find that cropped jackets & blazers look best with my maxi skirts, as it helps to balance everything out. I tend to opt for a cropped denim jacket for a more casual look, and if i'm going somewhere nice, I'll go for a cropped blazer.
There really are no set rules around styling maxi skirts, tuck tops in, let tops hang out, wear flip flops, wear boots, wear leggings, wear at the waist, wear at the hips, wear in winter, wear in summer...you make the rules. I know that not everybody will feel the same love I do for a floor-length skirt but it's such an easy thing to dress up, or dress down, and if you aren't blessed with gorgeous pins as I unfortunately haven't been, they are a summer life-saver, plus, you feel so elegant & feminine!


No comments:

Post a Comment